JOB TITLE MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (TYPE APPROVAL)
REPORTING TO HEAD OF TECHNICAL
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Coolkit’s range of temperature-controlled vehicle conversions optimises vehicle payload and productivity for fleets transporting food, pharmaceutical, healthcare, biomedical and other perishable products.
Working as part of the Coolkit Technical engineering team, you will collaborate with the production and quality teams to develop and implement manufacturing processes that guarantee compliance with local and international vehicle conversion regulations. You will be willing to work “hands on” with the product, and your technical expertise and attention to detail will be crucial in defining and maintaining best practice.
1. Type Approval Management:
- Research and stay up to date with relevant local and international regulations and standards related to commercial vehicle conversion.
- Work closely with regulatory bodies and authorities, such as the UK government Vehicle Certification Agency to obtain and maintain necessary type approval certifications for our products.
- Advise and assist the Quality department in developing production control procedures to ensure that all converted vehicles meet the required conformity to standards.
2. Process Development:
- Collaborate with the production team to develop and refine manufacturing processes that align with type approval requirements.
- Identify and implement process improvements to enhance build efficiency and product quality.
- Create detailed instruction documentation and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for manufacturing processes for insulation kits and electrical assemblies.
- Maintain and develop product Bills of Materials and Operations in the business execution system to ensure accurate resource and material costing.
- Work with manufacturing cells to optimize product flow and tooling/equipment.
3. Quality Assurance:
- Apply knowledge to business quality processes to facilitate COP (Conformity of Production)
- Assist the quality team to identify preventative actions to address any compliance issues.
- Work closely with the quality team to resolve non-conformities and implement corrective actions.
4. Supplier Collaboration:
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure that materials and components used in vehicle conversion meet regulatory specifications.
- Assist the purchasing team to evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to provide compliant materials and parts.
5. Training And Education:
- Provide training to production and quality control teams on type approval requirements and best practices.
- Stay informed about industry developments and best practices, and disseminate this knowledge within the organization.
- HND or Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in manufacturing engineering with a focus on type approval for commercial vehicles.
- Knowledge of local and international regulations and standards related to commercial vehicle conversion.
- Familiarity with online electronic libraries for EU and UN Type Approval Legislation.
- Proficiency in CAD software (Inventor preferred) and other engineering tools.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Training in type approval or relevant regulatory compliance is a plus.
- Competitive salary.
- 4 day working week (Monday to Thursday).
- Holidays – 26 days on a 4 day week inc. bank holidays.
- Enrolment into company pension scheme where the Company will contribute 3%.
- Health Cash plan (on completion of 6 months) – includes critical illness cover, group life insurance and health cash plan.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Friendly and collaborative work environment.
If you’re interested in the role, please send your CV to [email protected]
“CoolKit’s customer service and aftersales is excellent. They kept us up-to-date with the build progress, and even loaned us a freezer van until we could collect.”Justin HardmanBakery Manager at Rink Bakery
“Our fleet will be the most technologically advanced pharmaceutical vans on the road, having been built exclusively for AAH by CoolKit to ensure product is delivered within GDP 2013 guidelines.”Steve AndersonOperations Director at Celesio UK, AAH Pharmaceuticals’ parent company
“We have contracts with food manufacturers and suppliers and use the refrigerated vans to collect samples for microbiological, chemistry and molecular analysis. We collect from countless locations across the UK, delivering samples back to our nine food testing laboratories – and CoolKit did an excellent job. One thing they did was source a bespoke flooring for us that’s hygienic and easy to clean. Rather than having trays and boxes sliding around in the back it has given us a more stable load area.”Susan PrattALS UK Logistics Manager